Friday, April 17, 2009

What baby nightmares are made of...

Not the big scary loud vacuum, not the hot noisy blow-dryer, not the barking dog, or being left alone in the dark; these are not the things my little Reesy is afraid of.

It's this scary contraption...


That’s right, Reese is terrified of door stops. How did we discover this? Yesterday she was off exploring the house (a new favorite activity that comes with crawling). I was working on the computer and only 5 feet away, when I was startled out of my concentration by a blood curdling scream. I jumped up and ran over to Reese. I couldn't figure out what had happened. There was nothing she could have done to hurt herself. I inspected her from head to toe trying to figure out what had happened. No injuries of any kind. Finally I noticed she had been crawling around the door stop. I bent down and hit the door stop and it made its normal "bong" sound; the screams began again. I couldn't help but laugh. I tried to get Reese to touch the door stop and show her that it wasn't scary, but she was clinging to me so tight and sobbing into my shoulder. Poor thing...who knew a door stop could be so terrifying.

This morning I tried to get her to touch it again, so she can learn that there's nothing to be afraid of. She started to get apprehensive at the mere sight of the thing. I touched it and she started to hyperventilate. At least there were no screams. I assume eventually she will learn...door stops are our friends.

4 comments:

Brady and Erika said...

Maybe Crew can help. That has seemed to be one of his favorite items since being Reesey's size. Even our neighbors have commented on how funny it is when they can hear him play with it. I imagine it WAS cute when he was 6 months old but I doubt it is cute anymore. We just have nice neighbors. ~e~

chingchong7 said...

Oh don't forget that one time that she started crying cause I was making that clicking noise. Babies are too funny!

Unknown said...

That is so funny cause door stops are Brooklyns favorite thing to play with. We were at the Gardners one night and they glue theirs on, Brooklyn was getting so mad cause she couldn't get it off:)

Unknown said...

That's so funny! I wonder what's going on in that cute little head? Is she thinking it will grab her and bite her? Haha such a sweetie.