Monday, June 1, 2009

Uncle Mark

Mom, I thought you'd like this picture.

For some reason Reese isn't a huge fan of men. She loves little boys, but men seem to scare Reese. We're not sure why but most men have to give Reese a little time to warm up to them. There are only 3 men in Reese's life that she doesn't have to "warm up to". Her daddy of course, her Grandpa Nordfelt, and her "honorary" Uncle Mark. Reese has been a fan of Marks sense she was a baby. The first time Reese met Mark she snuggled right up to him and fell asleep in his arms. He held her for a couple hours while she slept peacefully in his arms. He has the magic touch. It's a good thing too, because Mark will be a dad himself in about 6 months. Congratulations Mark & Laura! You guys are going to be the best parents.

Reese and Mark. She even cried when he left last night.



Mark is like a brother to me. It's kind of funny how we met. Marks dad was the head of the Religion Department at BYU Idaho (Bro. Wightman). My mom was his Assistant for years. Mark of course was in the office quite a bit and my mom kind of adopted him and became his "second mom" in his words. She would always tell me about Mark and what a great kid he was. I didn't live in Rexburg and had never personally met Mark, but over the years I heard a lot of stories about Mark, and Mark heard a lot of stories about me.

Then one day I was at an FHE activity at my singles ward in Salt Lake. My roommate at the time was from Rexburg. She turned to me and asked if I had met the new guy in our ward, Mark Wightman, who was also from Rexburg. I about freaked out...you see after years of hearing stories about Mark, I still had never met him personally. I had her point him out and then ran over to him. He of course was just as excited. We had spent years hearing about each other and were finally meeting. We immediately became great friends. It was funny how comfortable and instantaneously we became friends. Since that point we have been like brother and sister. We used to drive home to Rexburg together and have mini therapy session about our lives.  He was always full of great honest advice and had a good listening ear.  

We ended up getting married just 2 months apart so it's been fun to continue our friendship with our spouses. Arnold and I just love Mark and Laura and we are so excited that they are expecting their first baby in December. We can't wait to welcome baby Wightman to the "family"!

1 comment:

empty nester said...

What fun to know you and Mark are friends. I consider his dad and brother, Greg, my dear friends. Mark was always in the office and he was such a great kid that it pleases me to know you have become so close. You are right, Reese is just the cutest. MOM