Sunday, February 14, 2010

My friend and cousin Laurel posted this on her blog and I absolutely loved it...because it's something I've been thinking about lately as well. She has been getting over a loss, as I have and her words were so perfect. I had to share.


[per-spek'tiv] n. the ability to perceive things in their actual interrelations or comparative importance; subjective evaluation of relative significance; the relationship of aspects of a subject to each other and to a whole

No matter the exact definition you choose, the way we feel about our lives or our current circumstances are impacted, for good or bad, by our own perspective.

Sometimes I wonder about this blogworld of ours.

We take our own life experiences from our own perspective and share our thoughts and feelings...sometimes in the form of a release...sometimes in an attempt to be helpful...sometimes to get support...other times to satisfy some other need...with people who each have their own life experiences and their own perspectives.

There are so many difficult life situations. People experiencing gut-wrenching moments of time when their world seems too hard...too much to handle.

And whether it's the heart-wrenching sadness of disappointment or intense pain of loss or the overwhelming burden of unmet expectations, each experience is being approached with a unique perspective.

A perspective that, at times, feels foreign to me...
because of my perspective

Can the woman who lost her baby see past the tragedy to be grateful for the other three boys she gets to raise?

Can the woman struggling with infertility see past the devastation to be grateful she gets to be married to an amazing man who loves her?

Can I see past the disappointment in my own life the past 7 weeks to be grateful that I had the blessing I had while I had it?

Yes.
Because of perspective.

And what is the perspective of the heart during the wrenching is not the same as the perspective of the heart at the time of healing.

So, I find myself wondering: Which comes first?

Does the healing change the perspective?
Or does the change in perspective allow for the healing?

I guess that's a matter of perspective too.

2 comments:

JR and Brynn said...

Wow, this is incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Sally said...

Thanks, for sharing this, Mindi. I'm so sorry for you loss and so glad you're doing so well. Thanks for being a great example!