Friday, January 8, 2010

Inspiration...Friend...now cousin!

I have this amazing friend. We've been friends for over 10 years now and although I don't get to hang out with her as much as I wish I could, she is one of the most inspirational people in my life. We met years ago through another mutual friend. We then had the pleasure of working together. She's kind of a big wig at Deseret Book and when I was the Marketing Director at The ZCMI Center Mall/Crossroads Plaza, we worked together every "Ladies Night Out". When I moved to Utah County we didn't get to hang out anymore. I got married and married life took over. She's since become an even bigger wig at Deseret Book. She oversee all the "Time Out For Women" events across the country. She's also written several books for women/young women and she's a motivational/inspirational speaker for Young Women. She travels all over the country speaking to woman of all ages, inspiring them and uplifting them. We've kept in touch all these years and then a couple months ago through the amazing connecting power of facebook...we discovered that we are in fact cousins. Second cousins to be exact. That's right our mothers are first cousins. Over 10 years and we're just putting it all together. It's crazy, but people have told us for years that we were a lot alike. We should have known.

Anyway, I just love Laurel to death and think she was put on this planet to be a light on a hill to all women. She posted the following on her blog, it's a excerpt from something she wrote for the "Time Out for Women" newsletter. I really liked it and wanted to share.


We're putting away the notion of New Year's Resolutions this year.

Instead, we're bringing out HOPE.
Or, rather, New Year's Hopes.

Some of us have hope for a mended broken heart.
Some of us have hope for more capacity in the one we have.
Some of us have hope for the life growing inside us to be born healthy.
Some of us hope for the chance to mother in any way possible.
Some of us hope for the man of our dreams to come along.
Some of us hope for the strength to support the man we already have.
Some of us hope for the will to finally get our bodies in shape.
Some of us hope for one more year with our bodies.

Whatever we hope FOR, those hopes are only possible because of what we hope IN.

As women of God, we hope IN
the power of the Savior's atonement to change our hearts
the sanctity of eternal families
the strength of our covenants
the reality of eternal life

Written by Laurel Christensen
You can check out her personal blog here, and her professional blog here! You won't be sorry.

4 comments:

Louise said...

Mindi,
I knew there had to some connection. What a great surprise! Met Laurel at "Time Out For Women" in Kansas City. She was so vibrant. How sweet is this to know you are cousins! Love it!

Lindsey said...

So, I noticed a couple pictures of you and Reese in the Deseret Book magazine (in the frames they were advertising) and I figured it had something to do with your background in advertising. But now that I know you have the hookup with a big wig at Deseret, it all makes sense. :)

Mindika said...

That's so funny that you noticed those pictures. I actually have another friend that's the designer for the Des Book Catalogs. He asked me if he could use some of my pictures. I didn't tell anyone, and it's been kind of fun to see who notices. I'm impressed!

Lindsey said...

After I saw you in the magazine I started paying closer attention to the commercials too. Sure enough, saw you on there too!