Monday, February 23, 2009

The dilema of the high chair. Help needed!

It's time to buy Reese a high chair and I'm having quite the dilema of what to buy. We can either get a full size high chair as seen below...


Or I can get a booster seat high chair as seen below...



I'm interested in what all you other mom's out there have to say. The pro's and con's I've been able to come up with are;

Full High Chair:
Takes up a lot of space and isn't portable, but it is on wheels and can be moved around the kitchen and dining room very easily. It has ajustable hights for standing or sitting. It has a much larger tray with more room for food etc. It has a removable seat cushion and several tray liners for ease in cleaning.

High Chair Booster Seat:
Takes up less space as it sits on one of our chairs. The only problem with that for me would be that my dining room chairs are cast iron and very hard to move around and clean. It has a smaller tray, but seems pretty easy to clean. But it would be portaable and a lot cheeper.

So, all you experienced mom's out there, if you don't mind let me know what you think.

6 comments:

Audrey C. =)'s said...

I personally loved having both. I loved the high chair for at home, even though it was big, it was really nice and I knew my boys were safe in it. I didn't get a small one (the portable) until they were a lot older. The would slip out of it sometimes even if they were strapped in. So I guess, really I liked both. Having a high chair was nice and if you do travel somewhere you never know, the people you may visit may have one!

Brady and Erika said...

This is a tough one Mindi. Those castiron chairs are heavy! We have the booster and loved it! We, as you know don't have a lot of space so that was a bonus. The chair we have really doesn't seem to have a smaller tray, at least not by much. Anyway the size had no effect on Crew's eating. Here's the link to the one we got:
http://www.target.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-High-Chair/dp/B001HTJQNA/sr=1-1/qid=1235517146/ref=sr_1_1/189-5579020-4995169?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Ahigh%20chair&page=1

I loved that this one reclined. Sometimes Crew would fall asleep while eating so I just left him in there and reclined it back.

So I really recommend ours but I know your chairs. I'd suggest buying a cheap chair to put it on but that defeats the purpose of a space saver. I don't think I'm making this easier sorry. ~e~

Sally said...

Mindi, this is what I bought (link below). It's kind of a hybrid between a big highchair and a portable highchair. I loved it as a highchair, but not as a booster seat. I ended up buying a really cheap booster seat (with no tray) when Olivia was ready to sit at the table "like a big girl." Hope this helps.

http://www.target.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-High-Chair/dp/B001HTJQNA/sr=1-1/qid=1235518564/ref=sr_1_1/178-3103458-7214455?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Ahigh%20chair&page=1

Melissa said...

My mom has the little portable one. It is nice to have something to use when we are over for dinner. It isn't very sturdy, however, and I am nervous to have Christian in it if I'm not by his side. When he is a little older, it will be better. For the younger baby it is nice to have the big one. They can recline, which is nice if you need to leave them in there for a bit while you load the dishwasher or grab a bite to eat yourself. Overall I'd say Christian and I both prefer my full sized one-hope this helps. PS Reese is so stinkin cute! I loved sitting behind you in Sunday School. She was so friendly and smiley!

Chellese said...

I guess I'm a New Yorker at heart because I go for space-saver every time.

Lindsey said...

I have both. As has been said already, I like the high one for younger babies and the portable for when they are a little older. My mom got one to keep at her house when Carter was a baby that I think is the best of both worlds. It is portable and hooks to a chair, but it is big and looks like the top part of a tall high chair. It also has a 5 point harness strap and it reclines so it's great for little babies and older ones. If I could do it again, I totally would've bought that one!