Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Saying Goodbye...

Yesterday Arnold and I put an offer in on a house up here in Rexburg. Today that offer was accepted! We are so excited...but with each passing completed "check" on my to-do list, this move is becoming all too real. And with each passing day, I know that some HUGE goodbye's are looming. I've spent my whole life in study of goodbye's. I've moved 18 times in my short 38 years. You would think goodbye's would come easy for me, and maybe they are a little easier than they could be...but my heart still breaks a little every time.

My last move was 6 years ago, when I moved into Tanglewood. I was single with a successful career, and a mere hope that one day I would get married and have a family. The time that has passed between then and now has been significant, to say the least.  Marriage, motherhood, career changes...these seemingly short 6 years have been life changing for me. And when I step out my front door I can see the homes and faces of all the amazing and wonderful people who've been there with me through what have been some of the best years of my life.

The first person I met in Tanglewood was Todd Nuttall. He introduced himself on the day he and Emilie were moving in, right next door...and then again a week later when I caught him trying to steal my cable to watch a BYU football game. I've never let him live it down. A short while later I got to meet Emily...and then little Claire when she arrived a couple months later. Two years later Lucy joined the family and then last year sweet Olivia. Through the years Emilie has been my shoulder to cry on, my emergency grocery store, my last minute babysitter, my personal therapist/child psychologist...one of my best friends in every way. She was always the first person I told I was pregnant, and the friend that cried with me when some of those pregnancies didn't work out. They have been the most amazing neighbors. In fact I don't even think of them as neighbors anymore...they are family. We have grown our families together, and it's hard for me to imagine not being able to pick up the phone and call them to help us with just about anything.  Our new next door neighbors, who ever they may be, will have big shoes to fill.

I don't remember my first formal introduction to Iliana Gardner...I'm not even sure we were ever formally introduced. But I do remember the first few weeks after Arnold and I were married, seeing her in church. She was 8 months pregnant and obviously miserable. Shortly there after she had little Gavin and I would always tell Arnold that he was one of the cutest little babies I'd ever seen. One of the first conversations I remember with Iliana was shortly after Reese was born. I was outside on my front porch and she asked me how I was doing with the new baby. I told her about my struggle with breastfeeding and she immediately reassured me that if I had to go to formula...it would be OK! She told me a little about her similar struggles and made me feel so much better. I had no idea then how good of friends we would become...that our families would become. TYLER was one of Reese's first words. When she said TYLER she was referring to anyone in the Gardner family...and she loved them...still loves them. From camping trips to picnics and family bike rides, we have spent countless hour of fun with the Gardners. Our whole family loves them. Iliana has also been my friend in the neighborhood that is most like me in personality and attitude. I could always count on her to rant and vent with. She's my go to..."I need someone to sympathize with me and tell me I'm not crazy" friend. We have had many laughs and good cry's together. I seriously don't know what I'm going to do without her...not to mention Anni and Ava were supposed to grow up and be best friends! Dave is still our financial planner though...so it's inevitable...our friendship WILL continue!

Chellese Bunker was my very first Visiting Teacher, as a married woman. I was also called to serve on the Enrichment Committee with her, and she totally intimidated me. She laughs when I tell her that now, but she just seemed like she was so put together and on top of things. (I can hear her laughing as she reads this.) She was an amazing Visiting Teacher. I'll never forget a piece of advice she gave me during my first few months of marriage. It changed the entire way I viewed my relationship with Arnold, and while we weren't having any problems, I'm convinced her advise and a simple change in my outlook has prevented us from having any marital problems to this day. I will forever be indebted to her for that, and many many other things she has taught me about life, womanhood, and motherhood. Chellese is one of the classiest people I know and can be quite opposite from me in many ways, but our differences have allowed me to view life from her perspective. In turn this has opened my mind to ideas and thoughts I might never have considered. I treasure that gift she has given me. Chellese has also been the friend I knew I could call in the middle of the night if I needed...mostly because I knew she'd be up...but also because she is just the kind of person who will do anything for her friends. Her friendship has been, as still is, invaluable to me.

When Jules Tate first moved into the neighborhood I was assigned to be her visiting teacher. I tried as hard as I could to get her to let me come over...but she was a tough nut to crack. She is a sassy East coast "Jersey Girl" at heart...something I not only love about her, but find a little refreshing for Utah. She is an incredibly talented designer as well. She co-owen's her own business, which she runs from her home. I've learned so much from her and admire her hard work and sacrifice as a mother and business owner. She always makes me laugh and is the first to reassure me that wearing pajama's or yoga pants all day is absolutely 100% acceptable when you're a mom! We've definitely bonded over the years as we've spent long hours sitting outside, watching our girls play and become best friends. I'm still determined to figure out a way to sneak Rowan into the moving truck...I'm not sure how Reese is going to survive without her. However I do have another plan...convincing Jules and Justin to move to Rexburg. Justin, Arnold, and my brother can open an "outdoor" store/touring company of some kind. Jules and I can start our Event Planning business and Reese, Rowan, Anni and Harper will all grow up happily as best friends forever!! What do you say Tates??

Lisa Vohs and I were visiting teaching companions when we first met. My first impression of her was how incredibly beautiful and poised she was, and then as time passed I discovered that she is even more beautiful on the inside. We both found out we were pregnant with our fist babies at the same time. We then gave birth just 2 days apart at Utah Valley Hospital, where we also both had horrific "first time" delivery experiences. We got to spend our miserable recoveries two doors down from each other in the hospital. Cohen was Reese's first friend, as her buddy in the Mother/Baby nursery. A year and a half later Lisa was watching Reese while I was at the doctors appointment where I found out my 16 week pregnancy was no longer viable. I had to call Lisa to tell her the news, and that I was going to be a little longer than I thought. Later that night I was going through Reese's diaper bag and I found an unmarked CD. Lisa, a brilliant photographer, had done a little photo shoot with Reese while I was at the doctor. When I popped it in computer and saw all the beautiful pictures of my sweet baby girl, it brightened what had been one of my darkest days. She'll never know how much those pictures meant to me, and still mean to me.  Lisa is an amazing women, mother and friend. She's a talented artist, photographer, and designer...if I didn't know her myself I'd think she was too good to be true...but it's all true!

From day one, April Wood has always seemed like the veteran mom of our neighborhood. I'm not sure I could count the number of times I called her the first year of Reese's life...usually in a panic with some sort of seemingly hopeless emergency. She always chuckled at me and then answered what ever questions I could throw at her. I look back and think how pathetic I must have sounded...just an over cautious first time mom.  I still look at her today with five kids, two of which are twins, and wonder how she makes it look so effortless and easy. I know some of her trials and struggles, and admire her faith and perseverance. She is one tough woman...with an incredibly generous and kind husband, Dale, and five of the most adorable kids you could imagine. I'm grateful for her example and friendship.

The first time I saw Whitney Tate, I would have sworn I knew her from somewhere! I spent weeks at church racking my brain trying to figure out where I had seen her before...and I never figured it out. She also always had the cutest shoes...that alone should have told me we were meant to be friends. It took me a little longer to get to know Whitney, but once I did I totally fell in love with her. I don't think I could put into words how much I admire her. Her husband works out of town, so she often lives as a single mom for weeks and/or months at a time. I've seen first hand how difficult and challenging this can be for her, but she is a strong woman who always prevails.  She has two awesome kids. Brynn is one of Reese's best friends and, as I've told Whit a hundred times, if I were to have a boy I'd want him to be just like Brighton...sweetest boy ever!! I love hanging out with Whitney and with Jon, when he's in town...after all he is a man after my own heart...Southern Utah born and bread. We will miss them so much.  Maybe Jon will get a job up our way some time and they can come see us!!

When I think of Bethany Lee's, I think quiet strength. Bethany and I have shared a common struggle of infertility and loss. Three years ago, Bethany and Jared experienced the most devastating loss, when she gave birth to little Ethan who had passed away in the 9th month of pregnancy. It was like someone stabbed our neighborhood in the heart. We all mourned the loss of little Ethan, as our hearts broke for Bethany and Jared. No one can ever fully understand how difficult that must have been for Bethany, but I have watched her quiet strength bring her through the darkest valley of despair to find joy and happiness on the other side. She is one of my hero's! When we were both finally able to get pregnant two summers ago, we celebrated every week of our healthy pregnancies, and held our breath until Summer and Anniston safely arrived. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I've had to know Bethany. She has a beautiful soul.

I have loved getting to know Kellee Messmer the last couple of years. I feel like we've just start to become good friends and now my time is up. Kellee has such a kind heart. She has a great sense of style...she always looks super cute. Thank goodness for Pinterest, where I can still follow Kellee and glean from her awesomeness! Also, Reese won't let anyone but Kellee cut her hair. While she never makes a peep when Kellee cuts it, she seems to have grown to love Kellee and tells me, "no one else ever cut my hair mom...just Kellee!" We may be in trouble when we get to Rexburg. I guess it's a good thing Reese has recently decided she wants to grow her hair out...or we'll just have to make trips to Utah for hair cuts.

Long before I got to know Melissa Staheli, I knew of her. She was the first secretary of our HOA and her name was all over our fliers and letters. When I finally got to know her, I was amazed by her. The word Super Woman comes to mind...counselor in the RS Presidency, Owner/Partner of a dance studio, dance teacher, full time mom...and on the HOA board. Was there anything this woman couldn't do. A few years later and she's just as, if not more, involved and going strong...and she does it all while wearing stilettos. She's a talented smart amazing woman. A few months ago I was assigned to visit teach her. I will miss visiting her and the opportunity to get to know her even better.

When Lauren Clegg first moved into the neighborhood she was a newlywed. She and Zach worked with me in nursery. They were so cute with the kids and it was fun to see them grow in their first year of marriage. They are two of the nicest people I've met. I've been lucky to work with Zach for the last year on the HOA and he is such a wonderful guy. I was so thrilled for them when they recently became first time parents to the most gorgeous little baby girl! I'm so sad that I won't get to see little Brooklyn grow up and join the Tanglewood  gang of kidos!

I can't believe that I knew Erikka and Jake Nielson for a couple years before I knew that Jake was the son of Kim Nielson. Kim and I worked together for years when I was the Marketing Director at University Mall. All our collected fountain money went to his Foundation, and then I also served on the Board for the annual Chocolate Extravaganza. He is someone that I have long admired and enjoyed associating with. It's no surprise they are related. Erikka is so sweet and kind. I've never heard her say a negative thing about anyone. I've noticed anytime people may be saying something bad about someone, she tries to point out something good or give people the benefit of the doubt. I love that characteristic in her.

My first memory of Sarah Wilde is from several years ago at a neighborhood "ugly Christmas sweater" party. I think she and Justin took home the prize. Sarah is beautiful, kind, thoughtful and the skinniest pregnant lady I know! I'm not sure where she hides those babies for 9 months...but it never looks like they're in her tummy :). (I couldn't help it Sarah...you're just the cutest pregnant woman I've ever seen.) I'm sad I won't be here to see her experience her first baby boy this winter. It will be quite the adventure after two girls.

Cheryl Neves only moved into the neighborhood a couple years ago, but she quickly became a dear friend. I was lucky enough to have her as a visiting teacher, which allowed me the opportunity to get to know her quickly. She is an amazingly talented women who has set such a wonderful example to me. One of the things I love most about visiting teaching is the opportunity to get to know women you might not otherwise have opportunities to associate with. Even though Cheryl isn't too much older than me, her children are all grown and she is in the "planning weddings/love being a grandma" stage of her life. The average person might think we wouldn't have anything in common, but they would be wrong. I can't even put into words how much I have enjoyed the long talks Cheryl and I have had. I love this woman! I am really going to miss her wisdom, advice and genuine friendship.

There are many other incredible people in our neighborhood that I've been honored to call friends. Stephanie Sumsion is one of the kindest people I know, with a beautiful smile. I'm so sad that I'll miss the birth of her second little boy. Kyson is going to be the best big brother. Valarie Butterfield...there's a small part of me that wishes I shared her dislike of food. I have never met anyone who says they get  board in the middle of eating, except for Valarie. She totally cracks me up. I admire her will power and her determination to wake up at 5 a.m. to workout and train for triathlons.   She has been a wonderful friend. Christina Stommel and I have been serving on the HOA board together. I have been so impressed with her. She has a strong, independent, hilarious personality. I can always count on her face book post to give me a good laugh. Jan Hart is new to the neighborhood. I was hoping I'd get to know her better this Fall as we carpooled our girls to pre-school. I love little Addy Hart. She is such a smart and cute little girl. Reese was so sad when I told her she wouldn't be going to preschool with her.


There have also been many wonderful neighbors who touched our lives and have already moved on...The Peterson's, the Davis's, the Clarks, the McDonalds, the Hawely's, the Bakers...we're grateful for all who have shared in our time here at Tanglewood!

We have been very blessed here in Tanglewood! We have our critics that say we are cliquish and/or "too" tight a group, but what those critics don't realize is that what we really are... is a family. I think most of us originally moved into Tanglewood thinking it would be a transitional place. We didn't think we'd be here as long as we have been, but for numerous reasons, many of us stayed. The unique dynamic of our home proximity and the growing stage of our lives and families has created something beyond explanation. Life long relationships and bonds have been formed. It's only a matter of time before most, if not all of us will eventually move on, but for me and for my family these years will forever be remembered as some of the best of our lives. Just sitting down to write this has flooded my mind with thoughts and memories too numerous to count; treasures to my heart. Thank you! Thank you to all who have played even the smallest part in our lives here! We will miss you! Please know that you will always have a home in Rexburg, Idaho to visit! And for those who are saying to themselves right now..."what in the world is there to do in Rexburg Idaho???" You really should come and let us show you! You will not be disappointed!

All our Love,
Mindi, Arnold, Reese & Anniston

6 comments:

Chellese said...

A touching tribute to the neighborhood from a woman that we all admire and love and feel blessed to have shared this significant period of our lives with. Mindi, you are a woman of possibility, skill, spirit and strength. I wish I had near the talent you have for expression or the skill to organize or the passion for cooking! Yes, how could I help but laugh that your first impression of me could be so far from reality!! I am a by-the-skin-of-my-teeth kind of girl, whereas you have taught me that anything is possible when you are willing to envision and work. I am so excited for the Thiebaud family and the new upcoming chapter in your lives, but frankly, I will mourn your absence for a long, long time to come. Your smile, your laughter, your confidence and opinion and simply your presence will be sorely missed by us all. I love you, Mindi! Rexburg has never looked so appealing as a destination until now. When you're settled we'll have to come take you up on your offer to show us around. XOXO - Chellese

Lacy said...

What a sweet post. No wonder every one loves you. You are such a good friend. I can't believe you can remember such good details. Good luck!

Lauren and Zach said...

Mindi, you are so sweet. It was so fun to read all the memories you have of Tanglewood. I remember when we first met you and being so excited to be in this ward. One of the reasons I was secretly so excited to be a mom was so that I could hang out with the "Tanglewood gang" and get to know you better. I wish I could've sat down and taken notes on how you DO IT ALL! :) Esp. your cooking skills!
I am going to miss your wonderful rs lessons. You had such a talent for teaching and bringing such a wonderful spirit. I will miss learning from you and your example. You are so down to earth and fun to listen to.
Thank you for being so supportive when we had brooklyn. I will never forget you bringing over that cute bracelet after you had already given her that darling outfit and thinking how thoughtful, generous, and kind you are. You will never know how much that meant to us.
I hope that we can still do a girls night before you leave, when do you leave? I hope it's not too late! Thank goodness for social media so we can keep in touch, I want to see updates on those cute girls of yours!! :) The people in your next neighborhood have no idea how lucky they are to have you!!!! xoxo, Lauren

Stephanie said...

It's a beautiful home you are moving to. What a wonderful tribute to the Tanglewood neighborhood. Truly some incredible people to draw strength from (you being one of them).

I can't thank you enough for your thoughtfulness to me during my short stay in Orem. I don't think you know how much that baby shower meant to me.

Good luck with your move. Rexburg is lucky to have you.

Lindsey said...

Mindi, You are so incredibly wonderful and kind! It says so much about your character to have so many close, amazing friends. Good luck to your family on your next adventure. I'm sure you will be loved wherever you go! Thank goodness for technology so we can keep in touch! :) And your new house looks beautiful!

Bethany said...

Mindi- I think we all get the raw end of the deal here. You have new adventures to look forward to- and like Chellese says, we will greatly notice and mourn your departure- I can’t imagine neighborhood adventures without you. I was sad when they announced your last official day in church! That being said, I am so excited for your adventure, Arnold's new job, and for your beautiful new house. Thanks for the kind words- it meant so much to me when you ladies dropped by those two summers to help me remember Ethan and feel your love!