Friday, March 4, 2011

Pregnancy and Potty Training...don't mix

Reese is slowly but surely making progress in the potty training department, no thanks to me :)

After a couple failed attempts on my part (one in November and one in January), I gave up. I never thought I'd be "that" mom; the one that just gives up on potty training. I'm pretty sure if I weren't "pregnantly" exhausted, I wouldn't have been...but it is what it is. Not to mention that was the advice I got from her pediatrician (and a few smart mom's in my neighborhood). He's one smart man, because everything he said... is indeed happening.

He predicted that with Reese's stubborn attitude and strong will, there's was no way I would be able to force this step on her. Since she was also showing all signs of "readiness" for potty training and a clear understanding of the process, he suspected that if I backed off and let her run the show she would probably potty train herself when she was good and ready.

Well, we're about half way there. Reese still wears a diaper, but about 75% of the time she goes into the bathroom all by herself, takes off her diaper and goes on the potty. She even knows how to clean up after herself. Sometimes she tells me so I can supervise, and sometimes she just does it all alone. She also wakes up dry every day.

So you may be wondering, why I don't just put underwear on her and finish the deal....well....that's one area she is still protesting. I casually ask her all the time if she wants to wear her fun Minni Mouse and Princess panties, to which she calmly replies, "no thanks...diaper".

The next step is just getting rid of the diapers and not even having that as an option, and quite frankly if I weren't mere weeks from giving birth, having contractions on and off, in constant pain and misery, and suffering from a coma like tiredness, I would move forward with that step.

Timing...it's a funny little thing.

I'm now subscribing to the philosophy that she'll learn eventually, so don't stress about it. I mean really...she's not even 2 1/2 yet. I guess I was just hoping I wouldn't have to pay for diapers for two kids. Although Reese's diaper usage has gone down considerably. I guess I should be grateful for the small things.

5 comments:

Lacy said...

Izzy was really stubborn too. Really stubborn. She woke up one morning and I told her a story about the diaper monster that came in the house and ate all of the diapers while she was sleeping. She went and looked at every place that we had diapers and saw that they were really gone. She had no choice but to wear underwear. :)

Jill Bowcutt said...

Ugh, we just went through this. I was convinced not to even start potty training Tage yet cuz I'm also "pregnantly exhausted" but he kept saying he was a big boy and wanted to be like his brother. Parker was a breeze to potty train cuz I was right there, totally on top of it. But with Tage I didn't have the energy to really care. So it's done and now it's fine, but I tell ya, if the kid is being stubborn and not cooperating, it's not worth it. Keep being patient. She won't be in diapers forever! And maybe when she sees the new baby in diapers she'll see that she's the big sister now and doesn't need them.

Lindsey said...

I'm in the same boat, although Alexis is pretty resistant to the whole process. Carter potty trained fairly easily and was out of diapers before Alexis was born. Since the age spacing will be about the same for this next baby, I always invisioned Lexi being potty trained before the baby comes. I'm now trying to come to terms with the fact that I may have 2 in diapers for a little while. Good luck!

Sally said...

Olivia was super stubborn, too. She'd pee her pants on purpose, just to show me who was really in charge. She peed her pants nine times in one day. The next day, she was completely potty trained. Everything goes according to her schedule, not mine. Good luck. May you have the patience of a saint.

empty nester said...

If it helps, you should know you were the very same. You were stubborn about everything except potty training was quite simple with all of my children. Look how good you turned out. Reese is a sweet little thing but has her mother's personality. Good luck! It all works out in the end. Count your blessings that you won't have to get her up for early morning seminary.