Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Anniston

Anniston Sophia Thiebaud
Born Monday, March 21,2011 at 12:26 p.m.
7 lbs. 2 oz.
19.5 inches

It's official...we are in love!

Photobucket

On Monday morning, the 21st of March, I woke up about 7 a.m. with stabbing pain to my left side. It literally felt like someone was stabbing me over and over again. I stood up and almost passed out. I was dripping sweat and could hardly breathe. It was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. Arnold woke up seeing I was in pain and I could hardly speak to explain to him what was going on. After about 10 minutes the stabbing turned into a throbbing pain that was much more bearable but still left me unable to move. I thought it was over, but after a few minutes the stabbing pain returned. We decided to call my doctor to see what this could be. I was certain it wasn't contractions, as the pain was on my side. However, Dr. Gourley wanted me to go to Labor and Delivery as soon as I could. We called our friends to find someone who could take Reese for us and prepared to leave for the hospital.

When we arrived at Labor and Delivery they hooked me up to the monitors and discovered that I was having contractions that correlated with the pain. They determined that something else was probably causing the pain, but when I had a contraction it was intensifying the pain. Dr. Gourley thought it could have been my kidney, my old cesarean scar tearing, an ovarian cist, or the baby putting pressure on any number of internal organs. No matter the cause, he suggested we go ahead and perform a cesarean and take the baby out. This would put her 3 weeks early, but he was more concerned about my health than the small risk of a pre-term baby. Arnold and I agreed, so we got ready to welcome our little Anniston a lot earlier than we had expected.

We called my family to let them all know what was going on and then called our friends to make sure they could keep Reese for the rest of the day. This time around was going to be very different from when we welcomed Reese. I was excited that I would be fully awake to see Anniston the moment she came into the world. I was unfortunately under anesthesia with Reese and didn't get to see her for hours after she was born. However, as they prepped me for the cesarean I became very nervous. I didn't like being strapped down and started to panic. Arnold was there to calm me down and hold my hand, and before I even realized what was happening I heard Anniston start to cry. The nurses and doctors where laughing because she started crying before she had even been taken out of me, and she had a very loud cry. As soon as she came out they lifted her over the shield and let me see her. She was so beautiful. She had a lot more hair than Reese and it appeared curly. She was screaming like crazy and everyone kept commenting that she had a good set of lungs. As soon as they got her cleaned up a little, they let Arnold hold her and put her right by my head. I got to spend a few minutes with her, give her a kiss and then she and Arnold headed to the nursery to finish cleaning her up and check to make sure she was good and healthy. It was an amazing experience to welcome my baby girl into the world.

As soon as they got me stitched up, I headed to recovery for about an hour and then they let me head to my room in Mother/Baby where I was very quickly reunited with little Anniston. She was absolutely beautiful; so tiny and sweet, and most important she was completely healthy. At 7 lbs. 2 oz. you would never know she was 3 weeks early.

Arnold and I felt so blessed. We couldn’t ask for more than a beautiful healthy little girl.

They also gave me a clean bill of health. They never could determine what was causing the pain, but it hasn’t returned since Anniston was born so the doctor thinks it must have been the baby putting pressure on one of my internal organs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Sushi-Mama said...

Oh! She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Welcome to this world, Anniston. (Will you shorten her name and call her Anni?) Yay for you for surviving the 9 months which probably seemed like 9 years. (I did one week of bed rest with Eliza and it was torturous.)
We are so happy for you all and can't wait to hear how Reese is handling being the Big Sis... :)